SYDNEY HARBOUR YHA and THE BIG DIG ARCHAEOLOGY EDUCATION CENTRE
Sydney Harbour YHA and The Big Dig Archaeology Education Centre is an exciting modern development in The Rocks, providing budget accommodation, historical site interpretation and facilitating hands-on archaeology education experiences.
Wire horse sculpture placed on the archaeological remnants of the stables behind the Whalers Arms Hotel.
On the 5th June 2015 a beautiful wire horse sculpture, made by Glenn Doyle, was gently placed on the remnant paving stones of the stables behind the Whalers Arms Hotel. This is the latest addition to the wire animal sculpture series at The Big Dig site. The sculptures inform visitors and students of the types of animals that were constantly alongside former residents on the site.
The Whalers Arms Hotel was built in 1830 by James and Sarah Byrne, who originally called it the St Patricks Inn. The main hotel building faced Gloucester Street, opposite Susannah Place. Behind the hotel there was a cobbled courtyard and a stables building, accessed from Cribbs Lane.
View up Cribbs Lane in 1895. The entry to the courtyard and the stables is on the left. Image courtesy of Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority.
The horse sculpture indicates where the central stall in the stables was. Horses were used for transport, either for riding or to pull cabs and wagons. For such purposes, strong and sturdy horses with deep chests and powerful haunches were preferable, the ancestors of Australian Walers and Stock Horses.
Horses were a very important part of the rapidly growing city and when you look for them they can be seen in many pictures and photographs of early Sydney. By the early 1900s there was approximately one horse for every two people in Australia.
For more information about horses in Australia visit State Library of NSW and National Museum of Australia
For more information about the artist visit Glenn Doyle Wire Sculptures
See all Updates